Wednesday, November 30, 2011

MrsDrPoe: The Swan House

For the next Reading Review here on the blog, I present to you another work of fiction, "The Swan House" by Elizabeth Musser:


"The Swan House" is a tale of a young girl growing up in Atlanta in the early sixties, revolving around the real-life Orly plane crash, racial tension, and faith.  The book has something for everyone- romance, suspense, football*, laughter, sadness, life, death...and the list goes on and on.

I really enjoyed reading this work.  I thought it was very well written, and I greatly appreciated the Mrs. Musser's subtleties (simply saying "he cursed" instead of providing full dialog, etc.) which adequately conveyed certain character's personalities without being crude.  I also appreciated the theme that Jesus can comfort all our pains and His truth sets us free.  This story was very fascinating and really pulled me into the story. 

On a negative note, I think that the prologue and epilogue are virtually unnecessary and almost detract a bit from the main story.  I would also caution readers to examine the various forms of Christianity presented in the book in light of the Bible, as many of the ideas portrayed are not in accordance with scripture.  While it is most refreshing to read a novel that places so much emphasis on faith in Christ, we must keep in mind that Christians are to worship "in Spirit and in truth."  


All in all, I would definitely recommend reading "The Swan House" (with a box of tissues handy), and I look forward to the chance to read the sequel.

*Mr. Poe and I learned that John Heisman used to coach at Tech from this book...cool huh?

0 comments:

Post a Comment