Wednesday, April 4, 2012

MrsDrPoe: Gods and Kings

It's time for another Reading Review here on the blog.  Today I present to you another historical fiction work, "Gods and Kings" by Lynn Austin:


This book is loosely based on the Biblical accounts of Ahaz and Hezekiah.  I appreciated the horrifying detail that Austin put into the pagan practices of the surrounding nations that the kings of Israel adopted as their own; this helps me to better picture while reading my Bible of what actually went on.  The entire work was heart wrenching; even though I knew ultimately who would choose good and who would choose evil, it pained me to read about all these people did against God.  The book indirectly made me think about my own transgressions against our Lord (the author never breaks from her 3rd person narrative, don't worry).

One thing that bothered me about the book, however, is the behavior of several of the prophets.  While I understand adding their humanity and reactions is part of what makes this work fiction, the way in which they received their revelation from God by just "feeling" or "knowing" is in direct contradiction to anything we actually see in the Bible (the examples show God telling His prophets exactly what to say, when to say it, and where to go to say it).


All things considered, I enjoyed the book and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys historical fiction.  I look forward to reading the subsequent books in the series as well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment