Wednesday, May 16, 2012

MrsDrPoe: What to Eat When You're Expecting

I've been holding this review back for a little while until the big reveal that we're pregnant, but now that you know, I can share "What to Eat When You're Expecting" by Eisenberg, Murkoff, and Hathaway:


Although it's been recently replaced by "What to Expect: Eating Well When You're Expecting," I couldn't turn down purchasing it when it showed up at my local thrift store, and after reading it, I was glad to own a copy.

This book includes information on what you should eat, what you shouldn't eat, as well as what eating/not eating these certain things will do for the health of your baby.  There's even a section included for suggested diet and caloric variations while nursing AND 100 recipes that help you put the book's teachings into practice.

You may be asking, do I follow the best odds diet proposed in the book to the T...and I would have to answer no.  But I do feel a lot more comfortable about making my food choices, knowing more about amounts of nutrients I should be eating, portion sizes, and such.

The only thing I really didn't like about the book was the introduction of the first chapter, which basically discounts any input God has on what issues a baby may or may not be born with, instead suggesting that eating well will guarantee you a healthy baby.  Ironically, however, even the name of the diet ("Best odds") suggests that even the authors believe that statistically, even if you do everything right, you can't totally control the health of your baby.

All things considered, I would recommend this book to any woman expecting.

0 comments:

Post a Comment