Wednesday, July 20, 2011

MrsDrPoe: Caesar Salad

How about a salad for dinner tonight? I highly recommend this recipe- it was developed years ago by my grandfather, Grandpapa Wolgemuth.

Ingredients: 1 clove garlic (crushed), 4-6 anchovy fillets, 1 tsp ground black pepper, 1 tsp Dijon mustard, 1 egg yolk, 1/8-1/4 cup olive oil, 5 drops of Tabasco, 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce, 1 tsp red wine vinegar, juice of 1/2 small lemon, 1/2 head of Romain lettuce torn, 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, and 1/2 cup garlic or Caesar croutons.


In a large salad bowl, mush the anchovy fillets with two forks:


Mix in the ground pepper, garlic cloves, mustard, and egg yolk together to form a paste:


Add the olive oil gradually, beating in quickly with two forks. Pour in the remaining liquid ingredients, and stir well:


Put the lettuce, cheese, and croutons in the dressing, and toss to coat. Rub individual bowls with the squeezed lemon, add salad, and serve (4 side salads, 2 dinner salads):


Note: For Mr. Poe and my first (dating) anniversary, I made this salad topped with steak. A few bites in, Mr. Poe looked at me and said, "I can't eat the rest of this." Of course I wound up in tears, but the lesson was learned- this dressing has a very strong garlic and anchovy taste. It's excellent, but not for everyone.

2 comments: