Friday, August 19, 2011

MrsDrPoe: Strawberry Huller

Happy Foto Friday to all! This post is definitely not as adventurous as the previous ones since my summer trips (NC, PA, Japan, Gulf Shores) are finished, but I hope that you'll find it helpful.

As we've talked about earlier this week, summer time is coming to a close, and for all of us who love good deals, the time for buying dirt cheap summery items is quickly approaching. With that in mind, I thought I'd share some information an a summer kitchen gadget that I have fallen in love with this summer (and hopefully will be on sale at a store near you sometime soon): the Strawberry Huller.

To use, you simply push down the green top to extend and open the metal claws of the device. Insert the claws into the strawberry over the leaves:


Push in slightly, release the green top, and twist:


Pull the huller out of the strawberry, pushing the the green top again to release the leaves, etc.:


The huller is easy to use, plus it removes the leafy stalk part of the strawberry completely without much waste and allows for a whole strawberry at the end of the process. It does seem a bit flimsy, however, and since I've only had it for one summer, I'm not sure what the life expectancy of the tool is. Occasionally while twisting, I've had to keep my finger and thumb on the body of the device (see second picture) to keep the claw shut.

Despite the negatives, I would definitely recommend snatching this gadget up if you see it on sale. It helps tremendously when you're dealing with fresh strawberries!

0 comments:

Post a Comment