Wednesday, December 14, 2011

MrsDrPoe: The Dwelling Place

One of the ladies from my book club was kind enough to let me borrow the sequel to The Swan House, so for the next Reading Review, I present to you Elizabeth Musser's The Dwelling Place:



This story is set in Atlanta and Hilton Head and is about the youngest daughter (Ellie) of the main character in The Swan House (Mary Swan).  As in the first work of the series, the plot focuses on a daughter "discovering" both her mother and what living for Jesus means.  It definitely has it's sad parts (as well as happy ones) and gives a myriad of examples of how we can use our trials to glorify God.

I enjoyed reading this book (maybe not as much as The Swan House), and I found it very hard to put down.  As with the first book, it is very clean with very clear spiritual overtones.  It also made me think a lot about how little I know about what my mother and grandmothers went through that shaped them into what they are/were.  All too often I look at those around me who I haven't known their whole lives and take for granted that they are who they are; I don't take the time to learn more about them and to appreciate things they may have overcome to get where they are today.  I think this type of knowledge would help me to have a deeper love and appreciation for people.

While I appreciated that The Dwelling Place encouraged thought, it did seem like some of the things that happened to the characters in this work were too fictional and too "perfect" (even though they weren't necessarily good things).  This is probably because there are so many years between the first and second books that it was hard for me to imagine the end of the first one leading to the events in the second; I found myself somewhat glad that there isn't a third book in the series for this reason.

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone, especially those who enjoyed The Swan House; however, I would caution readers that some of the religious ideas presented in the work are not in accordance with what the Bible teaches.    

0 comments:

Post a Comment