Wednesday, June 15, 2011

MrsDrPoe: Fake Shakes

Over the past week, we've had several conversations with various folks about diets. The main thing I don't like about diets is the serious lack of desert that actually accompanies them, which reminds me of the summer before my freshman year of high school. I was pushing 150 lbs (at about 5' tall), so I decided that I needed to lose some weight. It was fairly easy for me at the time to cut out most of the fat I had been eating...except when it came to sweets. With that in mind, my mother showed me this recipe. I lost about 30 pounds that summer, and to this day this fake shake is my favorite shake to make for myself because I don't feel guilty drinking it.


Ingredients: ~1.5 cups milk (Mr. Poe and I have compromised at 1%, use Skim for less fat), 0.5 cup fruit, 2-4 Tbs sugar or substitute (not shown)


Slice the fruit into smaller pieces (approximately 1 inch chunks) and place in the blender. Pour in milk until it reaches the 2 cup mark on the side of your blender. Add sugar or substitute, then place the lid on the blender. Turn the blender on high for approximately 45 seconds, until the mixture is homogenized, frothy, and almost doubled in size (comes up to about the 3.5 cup mark when the blender is stopped).


Pour into chilled glasses and serve (makes 2). It tastes just like a milkshake, and the frothy texture is reminiscent of the real thing!

If you prefer chocolate: replace the fruit and sugar with 2 Tbs of chocolate syrup, and increase the amount of milk used to approximately 2 cups.
If you prefer vanilla: replace the fruit and sugar with 1 Tbs vanilla, and increase the amount of milk used to approximately 2 cups.

What are your favorite diet recipes?

0 comments:

Post a Comment