Wednesday, June 15, 2011

MrsDrPoe: Is That You Lord?

Good morning all! For my next Reading Review, I present to you...Gary E. Gilley's "Is That You Lord?: Hearing the Voice of the Lord, a biblical perspective."


This book is a fairly quick and easy read (83 pages of larger font), but despite the size, it contains a wealth of information. As the title suggests, this book examines what the Bible says about hearing the voice of God. This book came highly recommended to me by two very knowledgeable Christian men that Mr. Poe and I know and respect; I must say that not only did I enjoy reading the book, but I also gleaned a considerable amount of knowledge on the subject from it.

"Is That You Lord?" was written in an easy-to-understand manner; variations and the history of 'Pietism' are briefly discussed to provide background for those unfamiliar with the subject. The book examines various scriptures in both the Old and New Testaments that discuss how God has communicated and currently communicates with His people. One particularly interesting example Gilley discusses is about how God helps us to choose our spouses.

I didn't have any truly negative comments about this book. Chapter 6 seemed, to me, a bit repetitive, but was set up in more of a "quick reference" structure than the rest of the book. And, as always, I suggest reading this book with an open Bible to examine the scriptures themselves alongside this text (no book could/should ever replace the inspired word of God).

What interesting books have you read lately?

0 comments:

Post a Comment