Wednesday, July 27, 2011

MrsDrPoe: Solomon on Wealth

For today's reading review, I'd like to present to you...Dr. Stan Bullington's "Solomon on Wealth: Modern Financial Wisdom from an Ancient King"


Mr. Poe and I received an autographed copy of this book as a gift from the Bullington family several years ago; and I thought a review of it now would be fitting considering the topic of my last review.

This book was an easy read and covered the Bible passages in Proverbs that discuss wealth.
As Dr. Bullington points out, the final two chapters in the book of Proverbs are generally thought to have been written by someone other than Solomon; however, a discussion on the wealth passages present in these chapters is included in this work. He also employs the information given to us about the "virtuous wife" in Proverbs 31 as a financial case study.

From these passages, Dr. Bullington describes the healthy view of wealth that a Christian should have.
He discusses the fact that while wealth is a blessing from God, it is also a great danger. There is also information presented on the scriptural view of debt, workaholism, diversification, risk, and financial windfalls, as well as a multitude of other topics. One of the things that I greatly appreciated about this book are the suggestions that Dr. Bullington makes to help readers implement Solomon's financial wisdom in our own lives.

I really don't have any negative comments about this book; however, as always, I recommend reading it with an open Bible. Dr. B is a fantastic Bible student and teacher (Mr. Poe and I greatly respect him and his family), and I know he would agree with me that no book, no matter how well researched or written, should ever take the place of the Holy Word of God.

2 comments:

  1. And, the fantastic author does great weekend workshops on the topic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Beverly I didn't realize he did...that's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete